Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Something Foolish, Something Creative and Something Generous

Benjamin Graham, the author of the book "The Intelligent Investor" hoped every day to do “something foolish, something creative, and something generous.” His book has been the bible for value investors for over 60 years. I have it in my library and read it for his investing insight and attitude towards life.

In his book 'Antifragile', Nassim Nicholas Taleb talks about building systems that become stronger when there is volatility and disorder. His insights were particularly useful for me when I went through the months when SuccessFactors became an SAP company.

In the book, 'Rich Dad Poor Dad', Robert Kiyosaki talks about the things the poor and the middle class do not teach their kids. I have heard about this book a lot from my business school friends who are now fund managers. I read it recently to verify some of my investment strategies. While he is a controversial figure, there is a lot you can learn from his experience.

'The Back of the Napkin' by Dan Roam is a book for those who want to communicate with simple pictures. I practice this every day at work. It is my best known secret weapon. So obvious and yet seldom followed.

'Little bets' by Peter Sims was very useful to learn how successful people test the waters with their ideas by making little bets before taking big risks with them.

The one piece of advice I try to keep in mind  is to do something foolish, something creative and something generous every day. I hope you get to do that too. I wish everyone who takes the time to read what I share, a very happy and prosperous new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...